SACS is one of only four South African Schools to hold a Rhodes Scholarship. This scholarship was previously only open to Old Boys of SACS but, in 2012, it was also opened to previous students of Rustenburg High School for Girls and Sans Souci Girls’ High School. The Rhodes Scholarship is one of the world’s most prestigious academic scholarships and is for post-graduate studies at Oxford University. The scholarship covers all fees for tuition, board and lodging at a College at Oxford, England
The following brief outlined criteria apply:
- Applicants must have completed 3 years, including their matric, at either SACS, Rustenburg High School for Girls and Sans Souci Girls’ High School.
- Applicants must have a first degree by the time you start at Oxford, which means that they must be at least in the final year of your first degree when you apply for the Scholarship.
- Applicants must live permanently in and have resided for at least five years within the period of ten years immediately preceding your application in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or Swaziland.
- Unless a medical student or medical doctor, applicants must be at least 19 years and younger than 25 years on 1 October in the year after selection. This means that 2014 applicants must have been born after 30 September 1990 and on or before 1 October, 1996.
- For medical students and medical doctors the age limit is extended by three years.
- If applicants are registered for an MBBCh or an MBChB degree they may apply during their internship, provided they are younger than 28 on 1 October in the year after selection, i.e. the year you would start at Oxford.
For more information see http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-countries/southern-africa.
You can apply for the Rhodes Scholarship on-line at the following site. The closing date is made known in the May of application. https://apply.embark.com/scholarship/RhodesTrust.
If you require any further information please contact the Headmaster’s PA on 021 689 4164 ext 101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.